Fair skin is a blessing and it’s ok to have a tan once in a while if you just want to try a new look or are preparing for some occasion. A fair skinned female with a tan look rather more attractive at times. Though, there are many questions that you may have like what’s the best tanning lotion for fair skin, is it safe, how to apply it. We’ve covered it all in this guide.
Tanning is the process of making your skin darker. The basis of how a person’s skin looks is all due to a pigment called melanin, it is responsible for how dark or fair your skin, iris and hair are. When you apply a tanning lotion, the lotion works on your skin by giving it a matte effect. A natural way is by just taking a sunbath but it can also fireback and that’s why you need a tanning lotion.
What precautions to take before applying tanning lotion for fair skin?
- Use SPF: SPF means Sun protection factor and it is a measure of how well a sunscreen will protect your fair skin from the harmful effects of sunrays. Since you have a fair skin, you need to use an SPF 30. Using a tan over a sunscreen won’t impact the benefits of using a tanning lotion. Check out the Best Outdoor tanning lotions.
- Prepare your skin slowly: If this is your first time then you can get excited and soak your body in the sun for hours. This way, you can burn your skin and even destroy the pigments of your skin. You just need to spend 15-20 minutes in the sun which will prepare your skin for application of tanning lotion.
- Soak Sun at the right time: UVA rays are very strong between 10 am to 4 PM. So this is the time you should avoid taking sun. Instead you can either soak sun early in the morning or during evening hours. Not only will the sun be strong then but you can spend time better and it’s better for your skin.
- Take breaks between tanning: Since you have fair skin, its not advisable to tan everyday. If you do it everyday, the sunrays will eventually cause sunburns and the tan won’t be much effective so take breaks between your tanning cycle.
- Moisturize daily: Sun will most likely take away a lot of your moisture and so its important to always use a moisturizer even if you don’t apply a tanning lotion.
- Stay Hydrated: This is a golden rule and again whether you are tanning or not. Staying hydrated is a very important thing to do for the well being of your fair skin.
Do I have fair skin?
It is important for you to know your skin type before application of any type of lotion or cream on your skin. As per FDA(Food and Drug Administration), skin has been put in 6 different categories. Learn here more. Although there’s one more way to know your skin type as per Von Luschan’s chromatic scale but the FDA approved types work totally fine. We have put down a brief for every skin type:
- Type I: Pale White, burns but doesn’t tan
- Type II: White to Light Beige, burns and tans a little
- Type III: Beige, burns and tans gradually
- Type IV: Light Brown, burns a little and tans well
- Type V: Moderate Brown, doesn’t really burns and tans well
- Type VI: Dark Brown or Black, doesn’t burn and tans a lot
Are there any special concerns for tanning for fair-skinned people?
It goes without saying that fair skin men and women have to be careful while choosing to tan their skin. This is because fair skin complexion does not contain melanin which protects the skin from damage caused by sun rays. Lack of melanin makes the skin look pale. So if your skin has less amount of melanin the most people you might be more prone to side effects of tanning related concerns.
But, is fair skin necessarily sensitive?
No, fair skin complexion is not necessarily sensitive. Let me break it to you how fair skin and sensitive skin at two different things.
Every skin type can be sensitive and it’s not just the fair skin. The sensitivity of your skin is often determined by genetics and not the skin tone. Thus, having fair skin tone does not imply that you might have sensitive skin.
This shows that not all tanning lotions for fair skin are suitable for you if you have sensitive skin as well. Likewise, not all tanning lotions for sensitive skin aren’t for fair skin tone men and women. Does that make sense to you? No? Then read the last two lines again. In case you want to try an indoor tanning lotion, that can also work great for you.
What is tanning lotion?
Tanning is a process that makes the skin darker and gives a bronzy look. It is usually during beach vacations when people tan their body.
What should I look for in tanning lotion for fair skin?
Skincare routine for fair skin should never be neglected even while tanning. There are a few factors that you should always have in mind.
- SPF – Most of the tanning lotion in the market do not come with SPF. This means these tanning lotions do not have a sun-blocking capacity. So if you are a fair-skinned person sun protection is crucial for you.
- Moisturizer – All the 10 best tanning lotions for fair skin that I have reviewed come with a unique set of ingredients like coconut oil, macadamia nut oil, shea butter, vitamin E, etc that keep your skin moisturizing and hydrated. It is important to keep your skin hydrated during and after the tanning process.
Our top 10 best tanning lotions for fair skin:–
1. Maui Island Secret Browning Formula
Maui Island Secret Browning formula gives you the fastest and darkest natural Suntan and it also hydrates your skin as it is infused with natural oils and vitamins. You can easily achieve a natural tan just like the locals of Maui with minimum or no exposure to the sun. This formula gives you an even skin tan.
Although it is recommended that you get a base tan before using this Browning formula as it doesn’t contain any SPF. Else you can just combine it with SPF for extra sensitive areas whenever you require. Just combine your favourite sunscreen with this Browning formula and get the fastest and darkest brown skin tan without being under the sun.
This Browning formula does not contain any dye, stain or skin colourant. Rather it is made up of various natural ingredients like vitamin E Vitamin A Vitamin C Passion Flower Oil, Green Tree Extract, Macadamia Nut Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Kukui Nut Oil, and Maui Coffee Bean Extract.
- Durable and simple to apply
- Ensures deeper penetration
- Quality ingredients
- Excellent bed lotion
- No chance of skin cancer
- Contains No Sunscreen
2. Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion
The Ed Hardy coconut kisses Golden tanning lotion is beneficial for tanning sensitive skin as it is free from toxic elements. This company uses pure natural substances as key ingredients like coconut oil and milk. Coconut oil and coconut milk along with cocoa butter provide an intense and skin hydration.
This eco-friendly Tanner is easy to apply and gives you a durable and beautiful finish. It also gives you a dark golden finish without any bronzing agent. This tanner has a coconut fragrance which will leave you dreaming of a day in paradise.
Melactiva is melanin synthesizer that gives the darker long-lasting result and Nouritan in this tanner promotes even tan.
- Comes with salon formula
- Beautiful finish
- Powerful blending
- Great moisturizer
- Improves skin tone
- No SPF
3. Australian Gold Smooth Faces Facial Intensifier Tanning Lotion
Australian Gold smooth faces is the best tanning bed lotion for fair skin with freckles. It has a special formula which is more suitable for sensitive skin.
So what is it made of? It is a combination of ingredients that heal and cleanse your skin while leaving a smooth appearance. The mixture of vitamins and caffeine gives you a firm skin tone. This shows that this lotion also has anti-ageing skin benefits. If you are worried about shine then they also have a lightweight polymer that leaves the tan looking non-shiny. The combination of soy butter, fruit extract, tea tree oil and other ingredients give this lotion and amazing blending quality and his compatible for both men and women.
This lotion absorbs instantly into the skin and leaves a darker tan. It can be used for both indoor and outdoor tanning. Every Australian gold tanning lotion delivers a healthy golden glow along with hydration for your skin which is required during the tanning process. It is for this exact property that you should choose this brand.
- No sunscreen or SPF
4. Ocean Potion Dark Tanning Intensifier Lotion
Dissolution gives the quick blending and even finish for all fair skin women and men are looking for a side effect free tanning lotion. The ingredients like fruit extract, coconut oil, and seed oil enhance blood circulation and give it a vast number of antioxidants agents.
Reapplication of ocean potion dark tanning intensifier lotion helps to extend the life of tan on your fair skin. This lotion is also enriched with antioxidants and sea plants that nourish your skin while tanning.
- Makes the body layer soft and smooth
- No side effect
- Gives no sun protection
5. Devoted Creation Blonde Obsession Lotion
If you are looking for a tanning lotion for fair skin for tanning beds then Devoted Creations Blonde Obsession Lotion should be your go-to lotion. This is a very powerful tanning intensifier which produces a attractive and natural-looking dark colour without any bronzing agent. Along with being a powerful intensifier it also tightens and firms your skin as it is filled with firming and anti-ageing ingredients. There are pigment correctors and antioxidants in this standing lotion as well.
This tanning lotion has a sweet lotus scent and does not stink like other lotions. The usual concern for fair-skinned main information is that it takes 10 to 15 sessions to achieve a decent tan. Interestingly, this is not the case with this lotion. Devoted Creations Blonde Obsession Lotion is a perfect skin tone enhancer which will give you a tighter and softer skin on every application.
- Enhances beauty
- Boosts up blood circulation
- Increases melanin production and reduces skin burn
- Doesn’t Contain SPF
6. Australian Gold SPF 30
Australian Gold Sunscreen Lotion infused with Kona coffee is the best tanning lotion with bronzer for fair skin. For anyone who is looking for instant glow should use formula as the whole bronzing action is performed by the Kona coffee.
The best thing about Australian Gold is that this lotion comes with a generous amount of sun protection. There are options where you can choose from SPF 15, SPF 30, SPF 45, SPF 50, and SPF 8. This is a water-resistant oil-free lotion that nourishes the skin from deep within. The native Australian Acacia extract gives this lotion plenty of antioxidants.
This lotion can be applied on the face as it’s oil-free. All the fair-skinned men and women have every reason to be using a lotion that provides extra protection from UVB and UVA rays.
- Can be used on the face
- Contains SPF 30
- Instant Glow Formula
7. St. Tropez Lotion
I can’t praise the St. Tropez Lotion enough as it instantly adds sun-kissed colour to your skin. Also, the tan will darken gradually as you keep using the lotion over time. You can easily pick out if you have missed any spots while applying the lotion. The best part is the colour of the St. Tropez Lotion as it’s completely natural looking.
The instant colour of bronze covers the imperfections of your skin. It’s easy to apply and given up to 48 hours of hydration. It also has a quick-drying technology which gives you an even fade. If you want to improve the depth of your tan then you can reapply this daily or as desired. It’s used by people around the world because its Paraben-Free, Sulfate-Free, Phthalate-Free and comes from 100% Naturally-Derived DHA.
- Natural-looking instant tan
- Up to 48 hours of hydration
- Quick Dry Technology
- Paraben and Sulphate free
- Doesn’t Contain SPF
8. Millenium Lotion
The name of the lotion, Millenium solid black suggest that it is for the people who spend most of their time in the dark and the packaging proves it. If you are someone who never steps out in the sun and has a fair skin you should try this lotion as it is extremely strong. Anyone who is looking to see immediate results on using the tanning lotion then the Millenium Tanning Solid Black Bronzer is the best option for you.
You will be wrapped in orchid blush fragrance on using this tan lotion. Do not worry this will not dry out in the sun as it has ultra moisturizer to protect your skin at all times. Likewise, this lotion is more effective if you already have a base tan.
Ingredients that moisturise your skin include silicon bronzer and tan enhancer. It also contains a lot of natural ingredients like walnut, pecan seed oil, banana fruit extract, camellia oleifera, sunflower, an oleracea fruit oil, extract to name a few.
- Orchid Blush Fragrance
- Ultra Moisturizer
- Even Spread
- Doesn’t protect from harmful Sun Rays
9. Somewhere on beach
The somewhere on the beach tanning lotion is famous for its anti-ageing properties that smooth wrinkles and lines on the skin. It’s suitable for everyday usage and can be applied to the face as well. Who said that you cannot capture the beach in a bottle because the fragrance of this tanning lotion is reminiscent of an island retreat.
As this is an indoor-outdoor lotion it won’t harm the acrylic of a tanning bed and will also protect you from harmful ultraviolet radiation outdoors.
This features Tyrosine rather than DHA that helps you to get a darker tan.
- Outdoor/Indoor Lotion
- Suitable for everyday usage
- Has anti-ageing properties
- No white residue
- Doesn’t Contain Sun Protection
10. Jwoww Australian Gold
Australian gold is a well-known tanning brand and it’s the years of experience in this field that their products have been favourite for tanning enthusiasts and the Jwoww is no exception. This tanning lotion from Australian gold is a mix of various things along with Kukui Nut Oil which is a traditional sunburn medicine in the kangaroo land. Another important ingredient is the black currant oil which gives this location anti-inflammatory effects and a soothing touch.
- Anti-inflammatory effects
- Doesn’t Contain any SPF
Just because you have a fair skin tone does not mean you should be able to get a tan. It’s just you have to be more careful during the process while making sure that you use SPF and moisturize your skin properly. So as long as you will be using these 10 best tanning lotions reviewed along with sunscreen as primer, your skin is safe.
Check out the guide for Best Tanning Lotions for Men
Throughout the whole process of researching for this article, we tested many different products and asked a ton of our fair skinned friends and finally selected some of the top tanning lotions that we felt were the best in the market. You may have many doubts and we have tried to cover them all here but still if there’s a query you’ve, please let us know in the comments and we will incorporate your query.