Austin, Texas is known for its vibrant food scene, and downtown Austin is no exception. With a diverse range of cuisines, from classic Southern BBQ to modern fusion dishes, downtown Austin has something to offer for every foodie. If you’re looking to explore the best restaurants in downtown Austin, this foodie’s guide will help you navigate your way through some of the top spots.
- Franklin Barbecue: If you’re a fan of BBQ, Franklin Barbecue is a must-visit spot in downtown Austin. Known for their mouth-watering brisket and fall-off-the-bone ribs, this restaurant has gained a cult-like following among locals and tourists alike. Be prepared to wait in line, though – the popularity of this place means that there’s usually a long queue.
- Uchi: Uchi is an award-winning sushi and Japanese restaurant that has been a staple in the downtown Austin food scene for years. With an emphasis on fresh, locally sourced ingredients, the menu features creative dishes such as yellowtail sashimi with yuzu kosho and wagyu beef with truffle oil. For a truly unique experience, try their omakase tasting menu and let the chef surprise you with their culinary creations.
- La Condesa: If you’re in the mood for Mexican food, La Condesa is the perfect spot to satisfy your cravings. The menu features modern Mexican cuisine, with dishes such as duck confit tostadas and street-style corn with cotija cheese. The restaurant also has an extensive tequila and mezcal list, perfect for pairing with your meal.
- Swift’s Attic: For a more casual dining experience, check out Swift’s Attic, a gastropub-style restaurant located in the heart of downtown Austin. The menu features inventive dishes such as chicken-fried Brussels sprouts and lamb sliders with feta cheese, as well as a variety of craft cocktails and beers. The cozy atmosphere and creative menu make Swift’s Attic a popular spot for both locals and tourists.
- Olamaie: For a taste of classic Southern cuisine, Olamaie is a must-visit restaurant in downtown Austin. The menu features dishes such as shrimp and grits and fried chicken, all made with locally sourced ingredients. The restaurant also has a beautiful outdoor patio, perfect for enjoying your meal on a sunny day.
- Launderette: Launderette is a trendy restaurant located in the vibrant East Austin neighborhood, known for its modern American cuisine and lively atmosphere. The menu features dishes such as grilled octopus and roasted cauliflower, as well as an impressive wine list. Be sure to save room for dessert – the milk and honey ice cream sandwich is a crowd favorite.
- Emmer & Rye: Emmer & Rye is a farm-to-table restaurant located in the Rainey Street district of downtown Austin. The menu features seasonal dishes made with locally sourced ingredients, including house-made pasta and fresh seafood. Be sure to try the dim sum-style brunch on the weekends, featuring small plates such as pork belly bao and chicken and dumplings.
Whether you’re a local or a tourist, exploring the best restaurants in downtown Austin is a must-do experience for any foodie. From classic Southern cuisine to modern fusion dishes, the diverse range of cuisines available is sure to satisfy any palate. Be sure to come hungry, as the portions are often generous and the flavors are bold and unique.